Sunday, November 16, 2008

Yeo's White Gourd Drink

I can still taste the horror of this one. Actually, it sat in the back of my refrigerator for a couple of months before I could even work up the courage to open it. This is because I've never tasted a gourd in any form, much less as a beverage, which seemed like the worst possible medium for my first gourd-related experience.

And even though I was expecting the worst, I was still taken aback at the pure unmitigated wrongness of this drink. There are no currently-existing flavors to describe it. It had kind of a peanutty-old sock flavor, a little bit like soy nuts, only gamier. Gordish, I guess. I don't know. Not helping was their decision not to carbonate the damn stuff, so you could experience the gourd flavor in full effect, without any tangy bubbles to distract the taste buds. The harnessing of CO2 for beverage purposes is one of man's greater triumphs, and makes even the most retarded store brand pop not just drinkable, but enjoyable. Thank you, Carbon, Oxygen.

The can proudly proclaims itself an 'Authentic Asian Drink' which I feel is pretty obvious, considering that if it was an American pop, the can would have something along the lines of 'XXXTREME ALPINE MIST POWER GOURDO CODE BLANCO BLASTOFF!!!!' spalshed across it in fonts of varying color and extremeness.

But even after all the aforementioned, the thing that really amazes me about the White Gourd Drink is that I didn't get it at an Asian grocery store. I found it in a major chain market, which means that of all the canned beverages floating around the entire continent, this was one of the most mainstream ones available, and therefore chosen to be stocked as a regular item at a major US grocery store. What the hell else is over there that didn't make the cut? The mind boggles.


10 comments:

moe said...

White Gourd is my FAVORITE DRINK!...

Unknown said...

I just choked one of these down and could not agree more with your assessment of this dreck. I would place the flavor profile somewhere between a graham cracker and beer vomit.

Jonathan Inguen said...

This adds a new scary piece of info to the white gourd mythos-that they're still making it and stocking it like 8 years after I 1st noticed it. WHO IS KEEPING THEM IN BUSINESS???

chris said...

Just had one and googled it. Truly regrettable stuff. Seriously, it's like a sick joke by the beverage industry.

Chai tea meets garbage day.

Jonathan Inguen said...

Hahaha it really is! And I salute you sir, for giving it a try. You're a brave, brave, foolish man.

SineQuaNon said...

If there is a heaven and if there is water there, it tastes like Yeo's White Gourd Drink. This drink is the.most.refreshing beverage that I have ever had. It's incomparably delicious. Obviously, it's one of those things that you either love or hate. I love it. Can't get enough of it. Heavenly.

Mark Draper said...

I decided to Google this beverage as I was unexpectedly enjoying one... I couldn't disagree with you more!

While it is an unusual taste and I certainly wouldn't drink one on a regular basis... it is rather refreshing!

Jonathan Inguen said...

What's the story behind this stuff? Is there some sort of popular seasonal or regional gourd based beverage that's this stuff is based on?

If this is the Malaysian version of egg nog or apple cider, then I'm on board 'cause egg nog is far worse. But if it's in the same category as orange juice, I'm still baffled.

Regina F. said...

I can't believe so many people didn't like the White Gourd Drink. I thought it was really good! I bought a single can at an international market a few months ago, drank it, thought it was good... So I ordered two 24-can cases online... 48 cans of gourdy goodness delivered right to my door!

I think it tastes like liquid cupcakes. I let a friend at work try a little bit and he compared it to the buttered popcorn flavor jelly belly candy.

jarl said...

I dont understand how anyone wouldnt like this :) It tastes like essence of honey cereal and is really good chilled. They sell this at the asian food store by my house and I find it quite addicting :)